Friday, August 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Winston!


Happy Birthday Winston!
Winston and his new stuffed birthday cake toy!
This past week was Winston's 2nd birthday (14 in dog years of course). Although they might not understand why they're getting more attention than usual or why they have a fun new toy or delicious treat, they'll of course appreciate all the attention! I believe that on a daily basis a dogs love give us more than we think. Whether it's a warm hello when I walk through the door after a tough day or the way he says I love you with his eyes looking deep into mine, I know that Winston adds more to my life than I can express. So, on his birthday, I am more than happy to honor him and everything he does for me... all with his goofy smile :)

After doing some research I came up with a list of the top 10 benefits of having a dog. So for whatever reason that might apply to you... if you are financially stable, have time to dedicate to a pet, and have a lot of love to give - I recommend investing in a little fido for fidette.

          *Pets Can Improve Your Mood: As I said earlier, walking through the door to see those big brown eyes, smiling face, and wagging tail... what bad day??
          *Pets Control Blood Pressure Better Than Drugs: I'm not too familiar with this, but be sure and do your research if it might pertain to you!
          *Pets Encourage You To Get Out And Exercise: I know I've hiked through Central Park with Winston more times than I've gone to the gym this year. Enough said.
          *Pets Can Help With Social Support: Looking to expand your social circle? I know first hand that there is definitely a dog park community - go to a specific dog park or dog run frequently and I know you'll start telling the other owners cute stories about your dog and vice versa.
          *Pets Stave Off Loneliness and Provide Unconditional Love: On a lazy Sunday there's nothing better than looking over at your cutie pie who is wagging their tail asking, "what are we doing today!?"
          *Pets Can Reduce Stress—Sometimes More Than People
          *Entertainment: Sick of watching TV? I know that Winston is always ready to play whether it be a game of fetch, chase, or just having me hold his bone as he chews on it (spoiled?)
          *Learning Responsibility: Although growing up with three dogs I really never understood the responsibility - I just reaped the benefits! My mom would feed the dogs, worry about the dogs, take them to the vet, and so on. Since taking care of Winston I learned that it's a full time job, but like all jobs, they can be rewarding :)
          *Safety: I know that every time there's a noise outside my door Winston will be the first one there barking up a storm!
          *Help With Allergies: New studies show that children who grow up with a pet dog (or cat) in the home are less likely to have allergies or asthma.

So when your dog's birthday rolls around... you should roll out the red carpet for all he or she does for you the other 364 days a year!
Baby Winston - he sure did grow into that body!


No comments:

Post a Comment