Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Guide To NYC Dog Parks

For all my NYC readers, you are all familiar with the dog runs throughout the city. But which parks are better than others? Of course, I have been to most of them. Surprised? Let me give you a (dog) run down on which ones I liked, loved, and hated!

Winston playing in the river we found in Central Park
1. Union Square Dog Run: I have been to this dog run many times. They don't have a separate run for small and big dogs and the dog run itself is rather small. But, nothing bad has ever happened to Winston, he's actually made a few nice friends. I have seen three or four dog fights though. The run has a bunch of benches and a water source which is nice to spray the dogs during the summer heat. There's also a shaded area which is quite popular as well. My advice if you go, keep an eye on your dog!

2. Washington Square Dog Run: Washington Square Park just opened their new smaller dog run and I can't say enough great things about it! There is a large dog run which is just a few steps away but I prefer Winston to play with dogs his own size. The new small dog run has logs for dogs to jump on, an area that has a mini dog sprinkler, and many shaded areas to keep you and fido cool during the warmer temperatures of summer. It's clean and has many benches. If you go, please tell me why they have a separate entrance and exit? I just don't get it, but I do enjoy it inside and I think Winston would agree!

3. Tompkins Square Park: I've only been to this park once, but I didn't like my experience. It was a very large area with separate runs for small and big dogs, but I just got a negative vibe. Winston didn't really interact with the other dogs. There weren't any trees around so it was very hot and there wasn't anything to do inside the dog run. It was kind of boring for both me and Winston!

4. Chelsea Waterside Park: I've only been to this dog run once and love certain aspects but hate others. There is only one run so big and small dogs run around together. That is the biggest and only negative. But, the way it has been constructed is more of a jungle gym than a dog run. There are hills and objects scattered throughout the park for the dogs to jump on and off of. The bottom is made of pavement which is better than sand, but it can heat up during the summer months - so watch the paws! Just be aware of the other dogs that are in the dog run - some bigger dogs can be sweethearts!

5. Madison Square Park: I've only been to this run a few times, but I've heard terrible stories of dog attacks and even a small dog being killed by a larger dog. The few times I have gone I have had a fine time, but since it is nowhere near where I live I usually don't stop by.

6. East River Esplanade at 63rd Street: There are actually two areas at this location for dog runs. One is a sandy dog run that is split into two runs to separate smaller and bigger dogs. I don't like sand based dog runs because when Winston runs (which he loves to do) the sand kicks up and gets in his eyes and nose. I've talked to other dog owners at the dog run who agree with me. So, there's a pavement run that was created which sits upon a hill next to the sandy run. It's small and in my experience both runs don't seem to have a lot of dogs stopping by. If you were to go the East River Esplanade I'd bring a ball or toy to play fetch with!

7. Central Park: There is actually no off leash area designated for dogs inside CP. If you're in the mood to exercise yourself, going for a hike with fido, then it's great. Winston and I have gotten a great work out hiking through the ramble and other areas that don't see the bulk of tourists. I know that Winston loves Central Park... chasing birds, smelling all the different scents from animals, and having a cool off in a stream we found!

No comments:

Post a Comment