Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dogs In War - What Do You Really Know?

I keep coming across articles about dogs who work in the military. This of course sparked something in me, for not only do I love dogs for the joy and love they bring me, but also now for the safety they provide for me.

During my morning news routine, I came across this CNN article that started it all (http://bit.ly/jCKEHX). Apparently, during the successful mission to capture Osama Bin Laden, a dog was brought in to be a part of the SEAL team which helped to identify potential danger threatening the team.

Dogs have been part of war throughout history. There are examples dating back to 600 BC when dogs would be deployed to attack the enemy. Nowadays they aren't used in such vicious ways, more as an extra tool to help sniff out the enemy.

So the next time someone makes a "dumb dog" joke, you can tell them how smart they actually are; they save lives and help protect our country!

Here's a fun article a friend sent me from The Guardian about a special dog named Kanellos that has been taking part in the protests that have been plaguing Greece (http://bit.ly/ce92LZ).

I don't think I'll be sending Winston or Rusty to the front lines any time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment